“Spend less time worrying about whether your business is legally protected and more time creating.”
You’ve thought long and hard about starting a new business. Or maybe you want to take your existing business to the next level. Your business is not just some “thing” on your to do list but it’s the way that you’ll impact your industry and leave a legacy that makes you proud.
You realize that successfully launching a business is no easy feat, and you want to make sure you take the right steps along the way. You understand that it’s easier to get things right the first time around rather than fix problems down the road. You want a trusted advisor to make this happen so that you can spend less time worrying about whether you’ve got it right or wrong, and more time creating and making money doing the work you love.
I’m Patrice, the principal attorney and founder of Creative Genius Law. I work with creative entrepreneurs, innovators and change agents to solve today’s legal matters like protecting brands, drafting partnership agreements and hiring your first employees. But, I also collaborate with you to move your business from side gig to full-time, leverage your creativity for cash, and build a thriving business with long term success. Success for you could mean lifelong creativepreneurship or building a financially viable business that can be sold. I want to help you build a business that leaves you with the freedom to choose your adventure.
In the past, you’ve been frustrated with the legal support you've hired. You’ve felt at the whim of whoever was working with you because you weren’t included in the process as much as you would have liked. Education is a cornerstone of my work. I educate you on the legal issues in your business, collaborate with you, and put you in the driver’s seat so you are never at my whim but you have clear control of your business - even when I’m not around. While small businesses often work with lawyers on an ad hoc basis, I serve as your legal partner and a core member of your team. This means that your business will be protected from every angle and you will no longer have to make major decisions alone. You’ll stress less, confidently seek new business opportunities, and have more time to create and do the work you love.
Want to accelerate your journey from hobbyist to true creative entrepreneur? Grab my free tool that I created to help you make easier decisions and protect your business every day.
My mission is to develop a generation of empowered creative entrepreneurs who abandon the starving artist mentality, leverage their creativity for cash, and build thriving, innovative businesses so they can impact lives and have the freedom to choose their own adventures in life:
- I develop legal strategies to support your big picture goals. I use the law to protect your business AND leverage your creativity (Go figure, the law doesn't have to actually stifle your creativity at all).
- I make sure you are never out of the loop. No, you didn't choose to go to law school (and that's fine) but as a business owner I want you to be empowered with an understanding of the basic legal issues at play in your business, so you can confidently make savvy decisions.
- I am not just your lawyer, but your legal partner. We collaborate regularly on your grand ideas and everyday business decisions to minimize risks and maximize opportunities (because you have this secret power called Intellectual Property that I'll pay extra special attention too).
My entire career, I’ve worked in roles allowing me to protect the underdog, lead start-up initiatives, change lives, and disrupt industries (everything that I love and bring to the table in Creative Genius Law):
- As a pro bono coordinator for a legal aid organization, I started and designed our Continuing Legal Education Program, and started and developed our Special Education legal project. Our Special Ed program was recognized by Illinois Supreme Court Justice Anne M. Burke.
- As part of a small start up team for a Federal Court appointed compliance office, I developed compliance and monitoring protocols to ensure merit-based employment practices in local government offices. It’s the only program of it’s kind in the United States.
- As founder of StreetFood Artistry, a non-profit organization, I provided pro bono legal services to one deserving creative entrepreneur each year. We hosted the first food truck fest in Chicago.
- As the national social media director for a legal tech start-up, I steered social media and digital marketing strategies. Our online network makes small law [firms] competitive with BigLaw by crowdsourcing resources and collaboration. It’s a game changer.
And, here are the lawyer(ly) creds:
- Juris Doctor, DePaul University College of Law. B.S. Business Economics, Florida A&M University.
- Business and Publications Editor, DePaul Health Law Journal
- Contributing Researcher, In the Shadows of the War on Terror, Persistent Police Brutality and Abuse of People of Color in the United States: A Report Prepared for the United Nations Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination, presented in Geneva, Switzerland.
- 2014 American Bar Association "Legal Rebel"
- American Bar Association
- United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) Office Action Task Force
- Copyright & Social Media Committee
- Trademark Litigation Committee
- Trademarks & The Internet Committee
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Metropolitan Board of the Chicago Urban League
- Future Leaders Council, YWCA
- Chicago Artists Coalition
Speaking Engagements and Workshops
- Creative Expo: Protect Your Brand In Cyberspace (2012)
- Collabo Music Industry Mixer: The Business of Licensing and Publishing (2012)
- Zhou B Art Center: The Top 10 Pitfalls of Creative Entrepreneurs (2013)
- Chicago Artists Coalition: Negotiating Contracts, Intellectual Property + A Little Social Media In Between (2013)
- Blogging While Brown Conference (NY): Got a Blog? Protect Your Brand in Cyberspace (2013)
- Chicago Urban League (2013-2015)
- Hyde Park Art Center (2014)
- South Side Community Art Center (2014)
- Chicago Artists Coalition (2014)
- ColorComm Chicago (2014)
- AVVO Lawyernomics (upcoming 2015)